Obscurosa Shorts: Volume 1 -- A Compilation of various oddball short films from various sources, of varying quality from varying genres.. A real mixed bag in here.. Disc Includes :
1. The Spirit of Christmas - Trey Parker & Matt Stone - (1991) This is the very first incarnation of the South Park characters. This is also known as "Jesus vs. Frosty". Four children, all but one of whom go unnamed, build a snowman which comes to life and threatens their town. Kenny, the only child whose name is given in the film, and who resembles the character called Cartman in the subsequent Spirit of Christmas, The (1995) and "South Park" (1997), is immediately killed by the monster. When the children go to Santa for help, he is revealed to be the monster in disguise, and slaughters another of the kids. The two survivors approach the baby Jesus, who takes on the evil snowman and wins, saving Christmas.2. American History - Chris Graves & Trey Parker - (1992) Basically, this is an abbreviated take on American history in the style that you might expect from Parker.
3. The Spirit of Christmas - Trey Parker - (1995) A more refined remake of the earlier short. Also known as "Jesus vs. Santa". A heart warming tale of four children trying to decide which to cheer for: Jesus, or Santa. It almost makes one wonder what Brian Boitano would do in this situation. In the end, though, they decide that Christmas isn't a time for settling old scores, Christmas is about one thing: presents.
4. Beaver vs Tokyo - Trey Parker - (???) Footage that Parker shot of a guy in a beaver suit attacking a cardboard city is cut with a Japanese monster movie.
5. Daughter - Eduardo Rodriguez - (2002) Daughter is a refreshing 12-minute break from the usual modern irony and humor-drenched horror films. It doesn't mistake sadism for suspense, or gore for tension. It knows the real deal. It has a real voice, it's fun (if you like being scared), original and refreshingly twisted. The climax is one that you'll remember for a while. It's several levels above what you normally see from student work...and if you turn the lights off and give it a chance...it will give you a good, healthy scare. This movie is also quite noteworthy because Eduardo Rodriguez, the student director...received a three picture movie deal from Miramax based solely(!) on this film. Movie fans should get this for that reason alone.
6. Darkened Room - David Lynch Darkened Room is a short 8-minute film directed by David Lynch. It first appeared on Lynch's website, DavidLynch.com, in 2002. It has subsequently been released on the DVD anthology Dynamic:01. In the first half of the film, a Japanese woman shows us her apartment in Tokyo and muses on the amount of bananas produced worldwide. The woman then tells us that her friend next door is sad. In the second half, a blonde woman (Jordan Ladd) sits on a sofa and cries. Then a brunette woman (Cerina Vincent) enters and says cruel things to her, before threatening to tell her the truth. The film ends with a fade to black. The film was shot on digital video.
7. Premonitions following an Evil Deed - David Lynch Originally included in the 1995 film "Lumière et compagnie". Forty acclaimed directors created works using the original Cinematographe invented by the Lumière brothers
8. Eductation for Death - Banned Disney - (1943) A very old Disney propaganda film following a young boy as hes indoctrinated into becoming a nazi made with classic disney animation. The story of sleeping beauty will make you laugh, but other then that this film is slightly disturbing. Worth mentioniong that Disney was having some financial issues at the time this was made..
9. Elvis Impersonation - Trey Parker - (???) Basically, it's one minute of Trey Parker doing an Elvis Presley impersonation. To be honest he's not bad at all!.
10. 5:45am - Ben Coccio & Luke Crotty - (2000) The nightmares of five different guests at a roadside motel mesh together to describe a terrible crime with surreal obscurity. 5:45 AM is a visual experiment in which each viewing reveals more than the last. It is an homage to Hitchcockian montage and Lynchian storytelling.
11. From the Drain - David Cronenberg - (1967) The film is centered on two men in a bathtub; it is implied that they are veterans of some past conflict but revealed that they are currently in a mental institution. The first man is paranoid about the drain of the tub, the second indifferent to it. After the conversation between the two men progresses, a vine-like tendril emerges. From the Drain is a 1967 short film directed by David Cronenberg while he was in film school. One for the Cronenberg addicts, this short is everything you would expect of someone who always had a fascination for the venereal. It has no credits, so forget that. It has a timecode, so you can be reassured of the authenticity. The picture quality is poor at best, the sound quality is no better - but what you have here is the true beginnings of a genius at work.
12. Gay Niggers from Outerspace - Morten Lindberg - (1992) This is a crack-me-up short film about some men from outer space who are traveling trough the universe to secure the male race from the evil female forces. The movie is very low budget, probably ment to be, and is not to be taken very seriously. Havent we all thought lame and prejudice things about the other gender wether we are male or female? Well I think this movie is for you guys who have had bad experiences with the other sex, you will love it! Also the title "gay niggers from outer space" is pure Jokes and worth the watch just because of it.
13. Green Jelly video Album - (1994) Focusing more on the musical side, and even featuring non-comedy songs, the album was a more eclectic gathering, ranging from heavy metal to alt rock to dance music. Due to problems with the record company and virtually no promotion, the album failed to make waves. The long form video for the album was never properly released, and is extremely hard to find. The album spawned "The Bear Song" which appears in the Jim Carrey film Dumb and Dumber, but failed to chart. Though the new album was never properly released it did receive a 1995 Grammy nomination for best long form video. Unfortunately this is missing Carnage Rules and Pinata Head. the rest are there from different sources and have been repatched together in proper order.
14. Tarantino : Grindhouse trailers - (2007) These are the fake trailers that were left out of the DVD releases of the Grindhouse movies in superb Quality! Ennjoy them!
16. Jabbawocky - Jan Svankmajer - (1971) Sourced from VHS so the quality is not perfect, but be assured its the best you will find and with english audio. Lewis Carroll's poem is read and followed by a free-form animated depiction of images and toys from childhood, repeatedly overturned by a live cat.
15. McDonalds Training film - (1972) You just know how cheese ball fast-food chain customer service reps have to be.. They dont do it cause they want to. No. they do it becuase they have to. its their job. Its kinda funny how this training tape puts forth the concept of 'politeness' as if they have discovered fire. Like the notion of being polite could never possibly occur to them on their own, so upper management is bestowing this amazing secret on the lowly employees, called 'politeness'. Utter madness and Pure Jokes all round.
16. The Junkys Christmas - William S Burrows - (1993) Based on the short story by Burroughs of the same name this is a short clay-mation narrated by Burroughs. We follow Danny a junk sick and broke bum on his aimless wanderings to find that christmas fix, his eyes sting and all he can feel is the raw ache in his bones. Only the warming rush of Junk will make his at ease. Severed leg's, drunk Doctors and a 1/4 grain all go into making this a superb little tale that every family should gather round come christmas morning.17. Your studio and you - Trey Parker - (1995) A parody of 1950s corporate/industrial films, commissioned by Universal Pictures executives after the studio's purchase by Seagrams, and featuring cameos by many stars and directors.
18. Pecan Pie - Michel Gondry - (2003) Starring Jim carey! A very strange movie indeed, but worth having for the sake of it's obscurity A man in his pajamas drives in a bed that moves like a car, while singing Elvis Presley's "Pecan Pie".
Obscurosa Shorts: Volume 1 DVD is offered as a compact edition. This transfer is manufactured on demand and is presented on premium DVD-R with thermal disc print in a clear plastic wallet. Important: This title has been manufactured from the best-quality video master (rated 7/10) currently available and has not been remastered or restored.